When to sell an old console?

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by ReaperX, Apr 3, 2018.

1. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

While I love most of my old consoles, when do you all think it would be the best time to sell them at a good price. For example a Gamecube or PS2? Are we at a point in time where they are nearly worthless or growing priceless?

2. dionnextherese

I think they are worthless right now to sell them because it's not trendy anymore. There are upgraded consoles that people love and PS2 is a bit too old to buy them.

3. andandand3

andandand3 Member

This is always a tough one as it is hard to let them go when they have brought you so much joy. I guess then there are others that do not really mean so much, and my GameCube comes immediately to mind, but even that was a little bit sad.

4. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

Yeah, I can understand. To a degree it would little pain me to get rid of my consoles due to the nostalgia.

5. overcast

overcast Member

When you can't find way to repair it and can't find games on shelf for some of the places. I think that's the time you should avoid keeping it. And it's better to sell at that time.

6. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

True, more and more games on newer consoles are coming out, so finding room for them will be hard.

7. razor

razor Member

If you have a fully working console, you might try selling it in a few years to collectors. That said, I think even now you could fetch a decent price for it.

8. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

Good point, I honestly don't know how long my old ones will last so selling them as soon as possible might be for the best.

9. Athanas

Athanas Member

I think as soon you realise that you do not require your console, then you have to dispose it by selling it. There is no specific time. But you have to do that only if you are sure you have alternatives.

10. Athanas

Athanas Member

But don't you think that can raise some alarm to buyers? Many buyers will not go for defective gadgets. Unless if you meet an ignorant one hehe.

11. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

Well, it wouldn't be the first time someone would try to take advantage of a person's naive nature. Scammers do it all the time, though I don't really want to go that route.

12. razor

razor Member

You could possibly sell a defective console for parts. The only problem is that you're not going to get much for it.

13. EfficientNinja

EfficientNinja New Member

For me, if you aren't using it anymore, It's best to sell it than letting it age on a shelf or in a storage somewhere in your house. It will most likely depreciate in value if you just leave it there. You can sell it to console enthusiasts or console collectors and you might sell it for a higher price.

14. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

Good point, hopefully I can find people willing to pay big bucks for my older consoles.

15. Athanas

Athanas Member

These days scammers are everywhere by the way. But thank God I am not in that league. It is a bad gesture.

16. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

@Athanas Good for you, most people these days would do anything for money and get ahead in life.

17. NerdIndeed

NerdIndeed Member

When you own it for at least three or four years and a new version is hitting the stores. The longer you wait, the more it will depreciate over time (unless you find a hardcore aficionado of legacy devices).

18. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

True, that is what I usually hope for when selling a console. Finding someone who is that hardcore.

19. Annejk18

Annejk18 Member

There are a lot of newer versions now. Usually the older once now are just kept. I think you'll find it hard to dispose yours.

20. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

No arguments there.