Borderlands 3 as an MMO?

Discussion in 'Borderlands 1 and Future Titles' started by VinylicPuma3, Jul 15, 2013.

1. VinylicPuma3

VinylicPuma3 New Member

So I was watching a Butt Stallion video were Morning Afterkill talks about how there will probably be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4JDpnBh2EU

-definitely some more Borderlands 2 DLC
    -Borderlands 2 GAME of the Year edition will probably be released on Xbox One and PS4
    -Borderlands 2's sequel might be on the path to becoming an MMO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm kind of hesitant about playing borderlands 3 if it's an MMO because:

-If they work on this game like they worked on Alien Colonial Marines, it will fail.
    -The Drop rates in Borderlands 2 are already really low. This would be fine if ALL the guns in the game were powerful enough that would make them worth farming for but most aren't. If this continues into Borderlands 3, that'll suck.
    -If the seraph weapons are like the ones in Borderlands 2, that'll suck.
    -If it's an MMO, the modding community will disappear(or go underground and hack the game illegally for profit). I don't want to get banned for importing guns into the game. Not Cool.
    -I don't want to pay gearbox money to play Borderlands 3.
    -I don't want a shooter MMO. I want an RPG shooter that's non-competetive and is ok with people modding guns(like the game is now.

All I want them to do is add more vehicles, more guns, make the game extremely long and make the DLC guns and campaigns good enough to where casual players will want to play the game.

I also want them to explain the guns they are releasing as opposed to them just putting a bunch of "shit" guns into the game. I want to feel like the time I invested into the game was well worth it and farming for items ensures that I get really, really good gear that's worth using.

So what do you guys think about BORDERLANDS 3(BORDERWORLDS) possibly being an MMO?

2. Sacridfire

Sacridfire The Instigator

-If they work on this game like they worked on Alien Colonial Marines, it will fail.
    There is no way they will make the same mistake twice. They realized they screwed up and even released Borderlands 2 skins to get back some of the money they lost in Aliens
    -The Drop rates in Borderlands 2 are already really low. This would be fine if ALL the guns in the game were powerful enough that would make them worth farming for but most aren't. If this continues into Borderlands 3, that'll suck.
    Drop rates in Borderlands 2 are actually really good compared to other RPGs (excluding MMOs). I'm looking at you Diablo 3.... If they were to go the route of MMO drop rates would be increased by quite a bit and there really wouldn't be many underpowered guns.
    -If the seraph weapons are like the ones in Borderlands 2, that'll suck.
    Seraph weapons were never intended to be amazing guns. (I'm gonna make a WoW comparison here so bear with me) In WoW there is a point system called Justice Points(JP) which you can get from running 5 man dungeons. It takes a bunch of runs to get enough JP to buy a piece of gear and that gear isn't even as good as the drops in the dungeons. It isn't there to be the best equipment in the game, it is there to mitigate bad luck.
    -If it's an MMO, the modding community will disappear(or go underground and hack the game illegally for profit). I don't want to get banned for importing guns into the game. Not Cool.
    Sure hacked guns are fun to use with friends but they completely destroy any sense of balance. Most people don't hack guns to mess around with friends, they hack them because they can.
    -I don't want to pay gearbox money to play Borderlands 3.
    Out of all the MMOs that are worth playing World of Warcraft is the ONLY one with a subscription model and will probably be the last MMO that uses that model for its entire lifespan.
    -I don't want a shooter MMO. I want an RPG shooter that's non-competetive and is ok with people modding guns(like the game is now.
    Can you explain to me why an MMO can't be a non-competitive RPG? The terms MMORPG and PvE exist for a reason. Gearbox has NEVER been OK with people modding guns, they have just accepted the fact that there is no way to avoid it and simply tolerate it.

3. beardy7819

beardy7819 New Member

I would really like an old west kind of borderlands, with only jakobs kind guns and gear, with either jakobs as an enemy, or maybe the player characters working for jakobs trying to keep other manufacturers out of their territory. kind of like a setting similar to red dead redemption, but with a borderlands spirit. with motorized vehicles, but other than that, set in kind of an old wild west atmosphere. and classes like gunslinger, gambler, marshal, vaquero, hunter and outlaw. there might be a train robbery somewhere in the storyline. or a jailbreak. and defenately a new zombie area/dlc.

and for fucks sake bring back the runner vehicles, so one does not have to ride those slow vehickles in bl2.

4. VinylicPuma3

VinylicPuma3 New Member

I tinkered with your quote/answer thing a bit because I realized some of my complaints were just me bitching. lol

The 1-4 I've numbered I still feel kinda strongly about.

1. I don't mind farming, I just would prefer to not have to farm for an hour and a half to get 1 Bee shield that's lvl 48 instead of the 50 I wanted. Sure, the legendaries are powerful gear, but still. You spend all that time to get a gun you won't use.

Suggested Soloution: Borderlands 2 is a living game. Gearbox can make a hot fix patch to increase the drop rates of certain guns(there have been times they screw that up as well to the players benefit). Then on twitter or whatever, they can post which guns, guntype, manufacturer they've increased for a particular weekend.

If they did this in MMO form, I think it would work well. You got stuck or bored farming that 1 piece of gear only to finally get a mediocre version, you can wait till they have a weekend for Legendary shields or something. Might be cool if they did that.

2. The Seraph guns are a huge disappointment for the most part. Sure, they buffed some of them but I want a gun that's going to be worth fighting the Raid Bosses for. You beat Pete and get crystals to get a unique gun that is extremely useful in it's own right.

If you ask me, alot of the Unique Red Text guns in DLC1 should be swapped with the actual Seraph guns. When the uniques are better than the seraphs, you have a problem.

Suggested solution: I think they should include seraph guns in Borderlands 3 but make them cost 4 times as much and make them on par with many of the legendaries. I wouldn't mind busting my ass fighting hyperius with friends if the guns were actually worth getting.

3. As far as modding goes, alot of the modding I do involves changing scopes, grips, elemental capacitors, prefix, etc. Sometimes I'll just import the gun if I don't want to spend a year farming for that 1 Shock Practicable Butcher. I can live without the importing of guns into the game, I just would like a way to improve my guns like I already do.

As far as totally hacked things like modded BAR and OP guns go I could live without that. In fact, I prefer it when less people have them simply because many people abuse them. Joining others games and fucking around. Tis Annoying.

Suggested Soloution: Provide a way for guns in Borderlands 3 to be modified/customized to a particular character/build/etc. It stinks to get a shredifier only for it to have a bandit grip. Bleh!!

Also, maybe they could set something up that would allow you to Increase the level of a gun with a certain quest that can only be done once per playthrough and would occur at the end of a campaign. That would make the hour of farming more worth your time.

4. I'm mainly just tired of MMOs. I like Diablo-Style RPGs and Borderlands 2 is already a great game. Add some more vehicles, gun manufacturers, weapon types and allow all the individual classes to play at the same time and you'd have a real winner.

5. Sacridfire

Sacridfire The Instigator

I would love to see this as some sort of mechanic. Get a part through drop/store (maybe even some sort of crafting) and be able to attach it to a compatible weapon of your choice.

6. Killer11

Killer11 New Member

what he said. I'd like for there to be an actual gunsmith where you can take two items and combine them. Have a sweet weapon without a scope? find a good scope you like and merge the weapons or canabalize one into the other.

Maybe i'm just a nerd.

7. WithheldStorm

WithheldStorm New Member

I think 'Borderlands 3' as an MMO, would be a great idea; Because I've always wanted to see what it would be like, if the number of players were expanded to thousands, instead of just four.

8. teamxxlp

teamxxlp New Member

Don't get me wrong, I love MMOs. However, Borderlands 3 should NOT be an MMO, and I believe the chances of failure as such a game would be high. The Borderlands formula works, and a few improvements and new features would make it far better than switching over to an MMO would.

9. Corten

Corten New Member

I don't know, on one hand I'd like to see how they could make it into an MMO, but on the other hand Borderlands is an excellent co-op game. To be honest, I'd rather have it as it is, just make a few improvements and a new map and I'll be happy.

10. teamxxlp

teamxxlp New Member

Exactly this. An MMO COULD work, but the chances are slim that it would work. A few minor and maybe a couple major changes would keep the franchise moving forward and growing. I don't like the risk of an MMO for a franchise that's not an MMO to begin with.

11. TheBoss0567

TheBoss0567 New Member

An MMO would actually be pretty incredible, as long as certain briefing issues were addressed in order to be avoided. Otherwise, I couldn't even begin to fathom how awesome it would be.

12. elpapalon

elpapalon New Member

MMO form would kill this game for me. They have enough trouble in their hands already that would be the last thing they need at this point. The current gameplay model is fine. In any case all they need to do is increase the scope of the game in terms of more interesting and dynamic quests. I think they need to dominate that aspect before they push for something as ambitious as an MMO. I haven't seen a good fps MMO worth spending time on (destiny, planetside already on the way down the drain, what a pity).

13. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic New Member

I would actually like to see Borderlands 3 as a MMO. Think it would be pretty cool.

14. teamxxlp

teamxxlp New Member

I still say no. :'(

15. teamxxlp

teamxxlp New Member

Wait, let me reiterate one more time...I don't like this idea. :3

16. JoshSmith100

JoshSmith100 New Member

While I wouldn't be shocked to see this happen, I hope it doesn't. Borderlands is definitely my favorite co op game and always keeps me entertained. Good co op games are hard to come by and I hope nothing changes. Dont change something that is not broken.

17. Viorel2

Viorel2 New Member

If it was done right it could work. But I'm honestly worried that they would screw it up and destroy what is good about the series, so maybe just continue on the way it is and improve what's good :D.

18. fuzyon

fuzyon Member

Mhm, I don't think it could work out. The franchise would simply just not be the same anymore and a lot of people would probably leave if they decide to make the game an MMO.

19. Nemesysbr

Nemesysbr New Member

I definitely don't want that, but the outrage that would come from this would make for some great internet drama. It feels like a step closer to World War 3 everytime a big single-player franchise announces a MMO sequel.

20. rookeh

rookeh New Member

I agree. It seems like there's this movement in the gaming world to make everything an MMO. Some games can work like that, but I've heard ridiculous stories about making games like Tomb Raider an MMO. One could've thought they learned from their mediocre multiplayer. I have only started on the Borderlands, but I feel like the game works best as a single player game. Maybe an open world MMO could work, but I'm not to sure about that either.