Axton Explosive Axton Build

Discussion in 'Character Builds' started by VinylicPuma3, Oct 2, 2013.

1. VinylicPuma3

VinylicPuma3 New Member

Hey all, I figured I'd put together a thread on how I setup Axton for an Explosive build and the gear I like to use. Some of you might find this useful, especially if you're new to the commando.

Skill Tree

http://www.bl2skills.com/commando.html#55055150015105515012105050130000

In short, the investment in the Guerilla tree allows you to:
    -Sentry will increase the Duration of you're turret
    -Ready increases Reload Speed to help Ideally keep DPS up.
    -Willing helps recharge shields by increasing Rate and decreasing delay(great for Bee)
    -Onslaught Increases movement speed and Gun Damage after kill.
    -Scorched Earth allows your turret to fire rockets.
    -Able allows you to regen health when you hurt enemies
    -Double Up Gives you Slag Turrets

The Gunpowder tree gives the following bonuses:
    -Impact increases gun damage
    -Expertise allows you to swap weapons faster
    -Metal Storm increases Fire Rate and adds recoil reduction when you get a kill.
    -Steady increases grenade damage, launcher damage and adds recoil reduction
    -BattleFront increases gun damage and grenade damage while the turret is out. Synergies well with Sentry.
    -Longbow Turret allows you to deploy turret like a longbow grenade and essentially doubles the turrets health.
    -Do or Die allows you to throw grenades while in FFYL. Also gives them a 10% damage boost.
    -Ranger increases a multiple stats, but isn't super essential.
    -Nuke allows you to throw a nuke turret. Great for Knockback and good damage when targets are slagged.

The Survival tree gives these bonuses:
    -Preparation allows the player to regenerate health while shields are at full capacity
    -Pressure decreases shield recharge delay and increases reload speed. Synergies well with Willing, Preparation.
    -Phalanx Shield isn't totally necessary, but it can block things like the Hyperius novas. Which is nice
    -Quick Charge allows the shield to recharge slightly after getting a kill. Great when used with the Sham.

Gear

In general, this build will primarily make use of 2 manufacturers. Torgue and Tediore. Will start with the tediore gear.

Tediore Arsenal:

Expert Veteran Com with +6 to Steady +5 to Pressure-What this will do is increase the reload speed and magazine size of your reloads. The bigger magazine in addition to bonuses from steady increase damage.

Keep in mind, any grenade damage enhancements will increase the damage of reloads.

Tediore Plasma Caster-Tediore Etech SMGs have the highest Magazine size of all tediores. Get all elements.

Jam Packed Quickshot/Jam Packed Spiker/Dart-These are the best non-Red text tediore pistols. Highest mag sizes

Jam Packed Gunerang- Ah, the raid boss killer. Insanely high reload damage. Deployment is odd, but devastating once you get used to it.

Refill Baby Maker- This SMG's damage can exceed the Plasma Caster, but I find it sort of unwieldy. That said, very effective weapon as seen above.

Extra Large Omen- A good combat Shotgun with good reload damage. Also very efficient with ammo per shot.

Bone of the Ancients Relic- The best relic for damage, make sure you match elements though. The reason for this is a "fire-damage increase is multiplicative where as an increase to just grenade damage, Mag-size, etc, is only additive. Besides, the Tediore Allegiance Relic does less damage and consumes more ammo! Not good i say, not good.

The Avenger- This one is a bit of an oddball. It's very possible to hit the 999999K Damage Cap. Again weird deployment with regenerating ammo. Explanation on Avenger here:
    http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=264750

Explosive Arsenal:

Legendary Soldier Com- This is pretty much the standard Com to play any badass commando build. Gun Damage bonuses, Fire Rate and Turret Cooldown Bonus. Not to mention the Com will give you 10/5 in Sentry, Ready, Impact and Preparation with 6/5 in Expertise the current build.

Carnage/Swordsplosion- These Shotguns are really powerful. They can steamroll guys really easily. It's highly recommended you get the ones with vertical grips. Casual Prefix.

Ogre- A shredifier that shoots explosive bullets. Gains bonuses from Gun and Grenade Damage. very powerful and great with metal storm.

Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold- This gun should go without saying. This gun easily kills enemies. This gun does more damage than listed(Instead of 5201x2 or so, this would be 5201x14). So getcha one.

Norfleet/Nukem/Tunguska- These are arguably the best launchers for Axton. Norfleet kinda goes without saying. The Nukem is good if you decide to(or decide against) using the Sham Shield. The Tunguska is good for Splash damage and is highly recommended to be used with the sham. For the Nukem and Tunguska, go for Reload speed as opposed to damage as reload speed is a problem with all launchers.

Casual Ravager- Some people really like the Ravager. But I'm not one of these people. I strongly believe this is the ultimate close quarters shotgun. 12+ bullets that do a TON of damage.

Logan's Gun- Free rocket ammo when used with the sham. Who doesn't want free rockets I say? Who?

Blood of the Seraphs- This is the relic I use. I use this because it adds even more health regen to my character.

Explosive Aggression Relic- Great for enhancing the damage of grenades and weapons.

Shields, Grenades and such:

Magic Missile- Just get one of these. It does a lot amount of damage, slags and "homes-in" on targets. Plus since it regenerates, you can do without the Grenadier skill

Bonus Package/Meteor Shower- Essentially the same thing, except the Meteor Shower is better and is arguably easier to get. Will require Grenadier as grenades don't regenerate over time. Excellent grenade mod.

Slag Leech/Slag O-Negative- Essentially the same thing, except the O-Negative is easier to get. Basically a Transfusion grenade. Will require Grenadier skill as grenades don't regen.

Sham- The best shield most of the time. With 94% chance to absorb bullets, you can't really go wrong. However, don't use this shield in areas where you are being melee'd, harpooned, or whatever.

Antagonist- This is the shield you use in areas where you are being melee'd, harpooned, or whatever. High Capacity, Homing Slag balls, Ability to Reflect bullets for 500% damage. Yeah, you get the idea.

The Bee- Powerful Amp Damage shield. Great with axton as Axton can reduce the recharge delay of the bee by over 100%. Best versions include an immunity to Fire, Corrosive or Shock Damage over time(Imflammable, Alkaline, Grounded).

How to Play:

This build is relatively simple to play. When you want to use the pure explosive weapons, equip the following:
    -Sham or Antagonist
    -Blood of the Seraphs
    -Magic Missile
    -Legendary Soldier Class Mod
    -Carnage or Ogre
    -Plasma Caster(generalize to the area you're in) or Avenger(Preferably slag)
    -Norfleet/Nukem/Tunguska
    -Logan's Gun

When you want to equip Tediores, then equip:
    -Sham or Antagonist
    -Bone of the Ancients(match to the element of guns)
    -Magic Missile
    -Expert Veteran Class Mod
    -Tediore Plasma Caster/Baby Maker/Extra Large Omen
    -Slag Avenger
    -Norfleet/Nukem/Tunguska
    -Gunerang

#1 VinylicPuma3, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013
  2. Black-Viper

Black-Viper New Member

Nice. I also have a similar explosive build. Quite fun to play as an explosive commando.

3. VinylicPuma3

VinylicPuma3 New Member

Agreed. I really like explosive builds for axton as opposed to Pointman/Survival style.

4. oyuncukurt3

oyuncukurt3 New Member

S sisi
    Düşlemden
    Pepew

5. Librom

Librom New Member

Nice build. I think that explosive is the best way to go with Axton, though maybe it's just me (I like killing things as fast as possible, even if I am a glass cannon). Axton is just boring for me if I don't play with an explosive build.

6. superbobby

superbobby New Member

I think I'll stick with the survival build.

7. borderman2

borderman2 New Member

The Bee is my favourite.

8. borderman2

borderman2 New Member

What is the English meaning of these words?

9. borderman2

borderman2 New Member

Yes, the explosive builds are really awesome.

10. YaBoyJoey

YaBoyJoey New Member

This build honestly just makes me want to go through a new playthrough! Honestly, the replayability of BL2 is insane.

11. oneisgoodu

oneisgoodu New Member

Why will you stick with it ? Is there any reason? :D

12. oneisgoodu

oneisgoodu New Member

I agree with you. The explosives are awesome. What other than the explosive is interesting according to you?

13. Inconceivable!

Inconceivable! New Member

I use a heavy survival build with double turrets. I tried maxing out the gunpowder tree for a while and used the nuke but I hated it. My current class is a level 72 legendary commando with shield recharge bonuses. I never messed with the explosive class mods because I don't like torgue weapons and seldom use rocket launchers. My play style is probably better suited to Maya's skills because I use almost exclusively elemental weapons but I think Axton's turrets are more useful than phaselock.

Any thoughts on whether the double turret or single slag turret is more beneficial? I've got some awesome slag weapons so I'm leaning toward double turrets. I usually position them far apart to minimize the chance of both being destroyed.