Ferrari's Review - Far Cry 3

Discussion in 'Game Reviews' started by Redferrari1998, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Redferrari1998

Redferrari1998 The Moderating Legend

Far Cry 3 - Ferrari's Review

[​IMG]

Far cry 3 is the third installment of the Far Cry series (Big surprise there) and it is an open-world first person shooter developed and published by Ubisoft. What can I say? Far Cry 3 is easily one of the best games I have ever played. I had high hopes for FC3 with all the awesome trailers and I'm glad to stay that in my eyes, they delivered up to my expectations and much above.

Some Information
    Name - Far Cry 3
    Publisher - Ubisoft
    Developer - Ubisoft Montreal
    Game Engine - Dunia Engine 2 + Havok physics
    PC Platform - Uplay
    Release Date - 30th November in EU
    4th December in NA

The Story
    The story in Far Cry 3 starts with Jason Brody and his Brothers plus friends on a vacation to a place known as the 'Rook Island'. All is going well, until he decides to go skydiving. Upon landing, he is captured by pirate's and soon meet Vaas Montenegro, a insane drug-addict to love repeating the definition of insanity to his victim's. Luckily, Jason and his brother Grant escape from Vaas' camp for Grant to instantly get shot in the neck and dies. Jason runs for his life to find himself saved by a man named Dennis Rogers who gives him the 'Tatau', A tribal tattoo (and also your skill tree). Now, Jason must help Dennis and the Rakyat defeat Vaas, save his friends and survive through hell in paradise.

Basic Gameplay
    Far Cry 3 is one of my most favourite games. A lot of the objectives are similar to that found in Assassin's Creed, with radio towers which reveal sections of the map and allow access for a few free weapons (usually 2 per tower). Outposts can be found around the map which can be taken over for XP and a fast travel to that outpost. Hunting is a part of this game and done a lot better than most. You need to hunt in order to get the correct skins to craft better items which allow you to carry more loot, guns and equipment. On top of all of this, there are tons of bonus missions like the 'assassination' and trials of the' Rakyat'.

The Good and the Bad
    As with any game ever, there are always both good and bad point. While I love this game to death, I will admit it has flaws. This next section will be point that out, so without further ado, let's get on with it...

The Good

Storyline - A lot of open world games lack a really good story, Far Cry 3 is one of the few which does not suffer. I did enjoy the story of Jason and Vaas on the rook island. Along the way, you meet some truly unique and mostly disturbed people. I really don't want to go into much detail about the story in case I spoil anything, but I will say it has a really strong Beginning and End with two choices. The middle is very good too but not as good in terms of story.

Weaponry - There are plentiful firearms within FC3 that you can use. You have a weapon for every possible play style out there. You want to be sneaky sneaky? Grab the recurve bow and a silenced SMG of your choice to stay hidden from your unsuspecting foes. Want to just blow everything up? Get yourself the RPG-7 and GL-94 launchers and C4 equipment with a LMG to wreck anything that comes in your way. In any case, you can find a weapon for you, from the highly reliable AK47 to the advanced ACE (Galil).

The 'Aliveness' of Rook island - Pretty much none of you will understand what I mean by 'aliveness'. I mean just how much the world feels like an actual island which is living and breathing. Tigers will attack goats at random and so forth. You could be attacking a heavily fortified outpost when a cavalry of dogs come marching in and killing all of the pirates for you. It's stuff like this which sets FC3 apart from the regular open world games when nothing really happens until you intervene and I happily welcome it in Far Cry 3.

CO-OP - I will admit, I did really enjoy the Co-op. I originally thought I would be playing it for the achievements only but I found myself to be really enjoying it. Co-op is more linear than The solo campaign, but you can still go about your objectives in different ways. however, unless you are playing with your friend and have everything planned out, most people will just rush in with Assault rifles, meaning you need to be a full organized team for stealth. Either way, Co-op is very fun and I would happily play through it again.

Map Editor - Far Cry 3 easily has one of the best map editors in any game! Built in with the game itself, you can create maps for you and your friends to play on, and if you are lucky enough, you could end up in the map rotation in the 'user created maps' playlist. With NPC's integrated into the map editor, you can make solo scenario's where you attack a base or fight off tigers or defend your house and you get the idea.

Kick the Hornet's nest - This is mission 12 of the main story and easily the best mission in the entire game! This mission is so fun that it's worth its own section in my review. Basically, you burn an entire weed plantation with a 'flammenwerfer' (Flamethrower). I really don't need to say anything more.

The Bad

Island 2 - You head to the second part of rook island much later in the game, which has more powerful enemies and tougher challenges. unfortunately, here is where the story gets less engaging. The story is still good but not great like the previous island. Luckily, they do end on a high note with the multiple choice ending.

Multiplayer - I did very much enjoy the multiplayer. However, they removed some of the MP featured which made FC2's multiplayer so great!! You can no longer use vehicles and they removed the ammo boxes! I'll say that again, They. Removed. The. Ammo. Boxes... Really Ubisoft? When you run out of ammo, that's pretty much it. You will quickly die since there's no ammo lying around, and that does actually kind-of ruin the multiplayer.

The Verdict
    I'm done saying stuff. After all I've said, I can say that Far Cry 3 is easily a truly amazing experience and one that you shouldn't miss out on! if you want to play this game, check if your PC can run it as I believe it is better on PC. Either way, get it right now! I can guarantee you will not regret it!

Far Cry 3 was, without a doubt, my game of the year 2012...

10/10
    A Legendary game!!

Now before you go crazy, 10/10 does not mean it is the 'perfect' game. The rating is just a basis on how much I recommend you buy the game, and I will admit my love for Far Cry 3. I rate the games based on how much I enjoy them and nothing else. A game which everyone else rates 1/10 might be a 9./10 for me, so I just want to make that clear. A 10/10 does not mean it's 'revolutionary' or 'phenomenal'.

Thanks for reading this review! I'll see you all next time with Ferrari's next review!!
    Catch you all later!

Copyrighted - RedFerrari1998​

2. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic New Member

Good review! Far Cry 3 is definitely one of my favorite games to date.

3. Maddogg401

Maddogg401 New Member

What a review Red Ferrari, I agree this game is a masterpiece, it is the most fun I have had with a video game in years. It is definitely in my top ten list. And I fell that it is better than far cry 4 which was too lacklustre, Moreover Vaas was my favourite character in Far Cry 3 and that drug field mission was my favourite mission of all time.

4. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

I am not a big fan of the Far Cry series, excluding Far Cry Primal but the gameplay seems pretty interesting with a good story.

5. razor

razor Member

I wouldn't say it's a 10/10 game, mostly because it is incredibly easy, but it's good enough for multiple playthroughs. I've been playing the game ever since it came out.