My New Forum Project

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by FearTheKick, Jan 4, 2013.

1. FearTheKick

FearTheKick Legend of the Badlands

I just started a brand new project, definitely my biggest undertaking to date. It came to me in the shower believe it or not haha, I've been a runner my whole life and just though "Well, I have a lot of Admin experience...and I have been a runner my whole life...and all current running forums are pretty awful...wait a second!". So, if anyone is interested I'm going to ramble and bitch about being a webmaster of an upstart project.

For anyone that knows a thing or two about forum software, you probably know the whole business is at a standstill. Two major companies are in a lawsuit, and many are turning to more facebook-like packages which I don't like. I ended up buying an Invision Power Board license, which I think is the best choice for right now.

We are currently 6 days away from the launch and it's crunch time. I still need to finalize templates, get some quality posts up for the members to stumble onto when they first join, and put the finishing touches on a number of features.

What a headache. Right now I'm trying to rearrange the way the whole "View Thread" template looks, because imo IPB's is just ugly. It's a huge pain in the ass.

2. MorbidMobius

MorbidMobius The Lord of Slag

sounds really cool any specific topic for the new project. for those of us that don't speak nerd could you elaborate a little more as to what it is your doing with this project and what you are expecting as far as results go?

3. FearTheKick

Glad you asked. All current forums for runners are either abandoned by staff, disorganized and difficult to use, or severely outdated. We are aiming to provide a fast, clean, and easy to use community backed by professional staff and premium message board software.

Our primary concern is obviously going to be the message boards, however we will also offer the latest news in the running world.

4. MorbidMobius

sounds pretty intense...and of course i'm sure you have a crew already in the works with your new message board site. now with that being said you won't be abandoning us here now will you? :(

5. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX [the enigma]

These kinds of projects always end up being more than they seem, especially if you're the one taking leadership on it! You'll feel a lot better when you get all the stuff ready for launch :)

Post up your work when you're done! Is most of this being done using Invision's controls, or...are you using any software for graphics and such?

6. MorbidMobius

you know about things like this then huh? well is there any way for us to participate or maybe even help out? like making graphic art or something in that matter. I'm very skilled in photoshop...

7. FearTheKick

Yeah we have four employees right now. Haha, of course not I'll always be here on B2F. :)

Very true, I have put in easily 5 times the work I though I would have to. Invision's software takes care of most of the forum-related necessities though I tweak it to my needs. For graphics, I do the simple stuff myself in Photoshop CS5, or I just pay a professional designer to do it. I have a fair amount of friends in the Webmaster community that can do things for cheap :). I'll definitely post up my work soon after we launch.

Thanks for your interest guys!

8. MorbidMobius

I'm just so interested in what goes on in the online computer business world. I've never imagined how deep everything goes and how much work it takes to do something that seems so simple like these forums..

Hey! I use PS CS5 too...i've been using PS since cs1 and i love it! And i'm glad to hear you'll still be here =)

9. MorbidMobius

So how goes the new project kick? any new updates?