VIP Group Suggestions

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions' started by FearTheKick, Jan 8, 2013.

1. FearTheKick

FearTheKick Legend of the Badlands

It has come to my attention that many members do not like the current system in which VIP members are inducted. I am completely willing to change this if the community sincerely does not like this. What suggestions do you have?

2. daleweed

daleweed New Member

I'm not entirely sure on the process of how they are inducted. Can you explain this?

Off topic, and I don't intend this to be inflammatory Kick, but here's my feedback: get rid of the VIP system. Ok, its used by "millions of forums" to generate activity. But please consider the users that may be offended by more than one tier of user. As for myself I really don't care, but I think others do. The post that instigated this one is proof of that. There are other users that feel this way although they may not be speaking out. And there are a lot of other ways to generate activity for the forum.

3. FearTheKick

There are three requirements to be inducted into the VIP group based on post count, seniority, and good account status (no infractions, bans, etc.). Based on those select group of member, current VIP and staff can then vote on who deserves to be in the VIP usergroup.

To those offended, unfortunately I would have to say: "Stay active and quit complaining." If you're a positive and active contributor, I can guarantee that you will eventually become a VIP member.

As for other ways of generating activity, I'm all ears.

4. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX [the enigma]

Perhaps it's hard to pull off in a community this small. It's like having a small group of friends over, then taking 4-5 of them back to the back room but not inviting the others. There's nothing wrong with having a VIP group, but the parameters to get in should be set in place, and the bar should be set higher than it is. It should be one of those things that very very few people get in. I would be looking for TRULY outstanding contributions, rather than anyone who wins a popularity vote.

Just some thoughts.

5. Dirty Bigsby

Dirty Bigsby New Member

What goes unseen is the amount of time members spend on their consoles helping new people to this site with the game. After joining this site, my Xbox everyday has new messages just from this site. Friends list has doubled in the past month, heck i got to block some people cause they haggle to much. I figured this should be part of your consideration since the forum is about the game and we usually help people outside of the forum.

6. aFunnyFatGuy

aFunnyFatGuy Badass with a Badassitude

I agree one hundred percent with bigsby. He and I work closely together when it comes to helping people and I spend hours helping people run through story, level up characters, and farming bosses (which i dont mind so much because I like doing that). But these actions are the ones going unnoticed because the people we are helping are the ones that post a few times, get what they want and then never return to the forum.

7. Sacridfire

Sacridfire The Instigator

You guys are helping people in game, which is great, but to earn VIP status you need to contribute to the forum. The forum is here to provide a community to BL2 fans and VIP status shows that those members have gone above and beyond what is required of all members. It isn't a special club where we throw wild parties on a daily basis. The ONLY benefits of VIP status is a forum that isn't cluttered and a red name.

8. aFunnyFatGuy

We help the people that come on the forum looking for help, along with contributing stats, and all other types of information. If we were just helping random people on the game that would be one thing but its people that friend us from the forum.

9. aFunnyFatGuy

I mean if people coming to the forum, finding people like bigsby and I to help them and us spending countless hours helping said people doesn't count as going above and beyond then I don't know what the hell does. But on top of that we also run a successful shop with many many different items available AND we contribute to posts where people ask for advice and help.

10. Dirty Bigsby

Dirty Bigsby New Member

All I'm adding is the amount of time we lend to people on the forums should be taken into consideration for contribution. We always ask to leave a generous comment but that never happens. I can't be an asshole and hold it above their head and make them do it, hell I gotta play the asshole role for 8hrs a day as it is. Point being that is my suggestion towards contribution to being an all around member helping on and off the site.

11. Sacridfire

There is absolutely no way we can tell whether or not you are actually helping people in game. The issue is we can't always take somebody's word for something when there is no way for us to actively track it. I'm more than willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and you guys are already under consideration for VIP status (Bigsby is still short on one of the requirements but is almost there). Once we get things settled over the VIP contraversy we can start promoting more members.

12. Sacridfire

Oh yeah and there is no promotion order when it comes to who is selected. It's just whoever we happen to discuss first. If you deserve to be a VIP then you will be a VIP. It just doesn't happen instantly. We are promoting a few at a time to test the system.

13. aFunnyFatGuy

I think there being no promotion order is part of the problem. But it doesn't matter lol. Like I told Fear in a PM I'm done with the arguing, I've said my piece, and I'm going going to stay a contributing member of the forum. We cool everybody?

14. Sacridfire

Of course we are cool. As long as you are providing valid feedback, Fear and myself aren't going to get mad about it. Feedback is what gets things done around here. If you do or do not like something and you give us reasons as to why that is the case, you are more likely to get something changed than just bashing a feature and not explaining what about it you don't like.

We will try to promote people in the order that they fulfilled the requirements and possibly changing the name of the rank. The title VIP seems to be what is pissing people off and I understand why. Every active member of this forum has an equal say in things as far as I am concerned.

#14 Sacridfire, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  15. FearTheKick

I would just like to say that I completely understand where you guys are coming from. I know who the contributing members are. It simply happened by chance that MorbidMobius was the next to be inducted. It could have just as easily been aFunnyFatGuy, Bigsby, or Targe. Please don't think that you guys are being overlooked. It just happened that way. Was inducting Morbid justified? Yes. Would inducting one of you guys be just as justified? Yes.

Perhaps it was just the series of events that upset some of you, and if you feel that there was favoritism then I'm sorry but that truly wasn't the case.

If you all would like to current system to be changed, let's talk.

P.S. I agree with Sacrid, perhaps we should change the name of the usergroup. Maybe "Distinguished Members"? Contributors?

16. Sacridfire

Distinguished Contributers!

17. Dirty Bigsby

Dirty Bigsby New Member

Fear I hope my message to you was some understanding, the name isn't so much the issue.

Off topic question. Are yall gonna start the MOTM up for this month?

18. Dirty Bigsby

Dirty Bigsby New Member

Sorry for the double post. I'm down to only using a phone for my web surfing.

19. aFunnyFatGuy

Yeah, where is the MOTM for January?

20. Sacridfire

8 days in is a bit to soon to start it up. We should have one up by the 15th at the earliest.